Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Challenge of Taking a Break

It's a lazy Saturday morning, and I'm taking a cue from my dog to embrace nothingness.  To sit, relax, unwind, not let my to do list get the best of me.  

At least, that's my goal, but as we're sitting on the couch together, it's honestly stressing me out.  So, I grabbed the computer and did a bit of facebook, gmail, and looking up various yoga classes for later today.   Not quite the meditative, relaxing effort that comes so simply to Piper*.  Is this was meditation is becoming in the modern day?  Letting our brains "relax" through mind-numbing internet searching??  

I'd like to think not, so I'm going to my old stand by to help me calm and focus the mind, so that I can be present in this moment with my pup:  

Square breathing.
  • Find a comfortable seated position and close your eyes.
  • Breath in for a count of four
  • Hold for a count of four
  • Breath out for a count of four
  • Hold for a count of four
  • Repeat breath pattern for 10 rounds
Enjoy how calm and peaceful you feel.  

* Try reading The Tao of Poo for a great discussion on how "simple-mindedness" is actually wiser than intellect.  Oh what we have to learn from our pets and cartoons!

1 comment:

  1. ah, yes I know this feeling too well! Why is it SO hard to relax and do nothing? I envy the ability dogs and other animals have to do this.

    ReplyDelete