Friday, January 8, 2010

The Power of a Hug

Last week, my yoga teacher whimsically ended class by asking each of us to give and receive 10 hugs from classmates before we left, with this explanation:   After WWII, orphanages filled up with children of victims of the war.  In one particular orphanage, the children were healing and processing their grief faster and more completely than those in other orphanages.  Why?  Turns out, they received more hugs.   Researchers who studied the orphanages found that in order for a human to survive, she needs 4 hugs per day and in order for her to grow, 10.  

The academic in me immediately wondered about sources, sample sizes, and yes, I even did a quick google search to see what came up.*  

Then, as I found myself thinking about the story, giving my husband more and more hugs, and overall making my heart more available to others -- I realized, blissfully, that the yogi in me believes the story.  Or rather, doesn't worry about scientific evidence or accuracy or studies.  It feels good to hug, to connect heart to heart, to feel warmth and love and closeness, to make things safe and happy.  

Thank you, Marti, for sharing that story with me! 

* Turns out National Hugging Day is coming up on 1/21.   www.nationalhuggingday.com.  And there are a plethora of books out there on the power of touch in children -- the book Brighter Baby came up repeatedly.  Maybe I'll look more into it, when I have children; for now, I'll trust my intuition.

No comments:

Post a Comment